Daily Skittle

And now back to your regular scheduled program...

 
My Blog Log
2008 Election
Awards
PayPerPost
Blogvertise
Increase Website Traffic
BLOGRUSH
Search!
Google
Other Ads and Links
I'm Not Sorry
Monday, March 3, 2008
Remember as a child being forced to apologize to someone for something you just weren't sorry for?

This weekend Damian and I went to dinner at a local restaurant right up the road from my parents house. It's called The Red Tomato. We had never eaten there, nor had any of my family, despite the fact it is probably the closest restaurant to their house. On Friday, Damian and I thought we might give it a try, but since we had never been there, and it isn't actually on our way to or from anywhere, we called my Dad (who passes it everyday) to make sure it was still open. He told me yes, but he had heard it was expensive. He elaborated by saying it wouldn't be $30 a plate or anything, but was expensive.

We decided to go anyway. We never splurge, and up until this point, I think our most expensive meal has been Applebees. :) When we got there, we realized, we were supposed to have a reservation. Oops (Sign 1, we are about to pay dearly for this meal). Upon seating us, we were given a wine menu, which also listed several brands of bottled water. $4 for water? Nope, I'll have the wine! :P

Our server was great! The menu listed entrees from $19 to $29. The server listed about 10 others...the "specials." After she left Damian asks me "Does a 'special' mean too expensive to list on the menu?" I say, no...I'm sure their prices are in line with the menu. We think about it, and he gets a Chicken Marsala thing with sun-dried mashed potatoes and the house salad. I get the rack of lamb cooked medium-rare with roasted potatoes and the ceasar salad.

Can I just tell you that we both ate better on Friday night than either of us EVER have. It was unbelievable! We both ate our full salad (Damian's had candied pecans, strawberries, pineapple, grapes, and cantelope on a spring mix with a sweet vinegarette dressing...sorry, just had to share. And my Ceasar...well, it was homemade, but really how do you mess up a ceasar?) and then we ate about half of our meal, when we heard the server going over the dessert menu with the table beside us. I looked at Damian and said, if I eat all of this, I'll be too full for dessert. He agreed. So we decided to stop right there! We had just enough for a full meal for leftovers...so we had dessert too! :)

We had this incredible chocolate cake with strawberry icecream in the middle, and fresh strawberries, whip cream and drizzled with hot fudge. Yes, we ate all of that! :P

When the check comes the server tells us the dessert was on the Chef! How cool is that! So the total of our bill? $60.99 Not too bad in my opinion for all that we had. Wine, Salad, Dinner, and Dessert. Granted I could get all that at Applebees for $35, but that isn't the point. I didn't want Applebees, I wanted something new.

So why it is when I begin to tell people about our wonderful dinner the responses I get are: "Isn't that place expensive?" "I couldn't enjoy a meal I had to pay that much for." "It must be nice to be able to eat like that." "Did you have to go to the back and wash dishes?"

Why should I have to apologize for splurging once? I enjoyed every bite of my $32 rack of lamb...every last bite! Didn't bother me what I payed for it, because it was the best lamb I have ever had.

Truth be told, we will save up and go again. No, we won't go every weekend. We don't have that kind of money, but yes, I will skip dessert at Red Lobster to save up for The Red Tomato!

Labels: ,

posted by Stephanie @ 7:31 AM  
8 Comments:
  • At March 3, 2008 at 8:48 AM, Blogger Mandy said…

    Mmmm - The Downtown Grill is my favorite, and it is just as expensive, but well worth it every once in a while...

     
  • At March 3, 2008 at 9:13 AM, Blogger Jamie W. Riexinger said…

    When Stephen & I went to New York City for our honeymoon, our dinner bill one night was a whopping $360!! I know that is very extreme and I could have gotten a few pieces of jewelry for the same price, it was worth dining like that!! :o) We'll never do it again, but it will always be a memory! :o)

     
  • At March 3, 2008 at 12:17 PM, Blogger MomOf4 said…

    It sounds like you have found a great place for special occasions! It sounds delicious! :)

     
  • At March 3, 2008 at 12:37 PM, Blogger prin said…

    That's not that expensive. No need to justify yourselves either. :)

     
  • At March 4, 2008 at 10:10 PM, Blogger Sharon said…

    That's not bad at all, it's about like going to Outback! No apology, it's your money, dangit!! :)

     
  • At March 7, 2008 at 3:44 AM, Blogger linda said…

    People are funny like that. I would have wanted to hear all the yummy details and would have felt so happy you enjoyed your night.

     
  • At March 10, 2008 at 9:04 PM, Blogger Dolce said…

    For everything you ordered, that's a steal! Seriously. I cook gourmet and eat out A LOT! And I don't think you can buy rack of lamb at a butcher shop for under $15 a pound.

     
  • At March 11, 2008 at 3:21 PM, Blogger Boss Lady said…

    Oh honey, your mom and my mom are cut from the same mold... I don't know where that mentality comes from! My precious mom (and I'm being serious, oh I love her so much!) does that to us all the time!
    Don't apologize, enjoy life when it gives you the opportunity to enjoy something nice!

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
About Me

Name: Stephanie
Home: Macon, Georgia, United States
About Me: Holy Crap I will be 29 soon! My friends and I are creating a before we turn 30 bucket list...hmmm what to add?
See my complete profile
Previous Post
Archives
Links
Powered by

Free Blogger Templates

BLOGGER

© 2005 Daily Skittle Template by Isnaini Dot Com