Daily Skittle

And now back to your regular scheduled program...

 
My Blog Log
2008 Election
Awards
PayPerPost
Blogvertise
Increase Website Traffic
BLOGRUSH
Search!
Google
Other Ads and Links
Now What?
Tuesday, November 13, 2007
I went for pre-op today with the plastic surgeon. He undressed my wound, we discussed my options. I have 4 options.

Option 1: Let the wound heal on it own. This will involve daily changing the dressing for a period of 2 to 3 months. This means, no showers, only sponge baths, and me having to look at this wound for this period of time, and dealing with the paid of an open wound. Um, no thanks!

Option 2: Skin Graph. This would involve taking skin from another part of my body (my leg or my booty), and sewing it to fill in the gap. This means 2 scars, 2 healing wounds.

Option 3: Cut a section of my breast, allowing the doctor to stretch my skin to help close the wound. 2 scars, but both on the same breast, one where the wound is, the other running from underneath my arm to my aureole.

Option 4: Close the open wound, by just pulling together the skin around it. This is only an option if they already got all the skin cancer, and the wound is not going to be any larger. There would only be one scar, but because of the location, pulling the wound close, could cause my nipple to be pulled in one direction. This means when my high beams are on, one would be up in the trees.

The doctor recommends options 3 or 4, which seem to be the best 2 options in my opinion. Honestly, though, I am really disappointed. I thought that by involving a plastic surgeon that I would be fixed wholly. He told me we didn't have to make a decision until tomorrow, so Damian and I could talk about it. Mom seems to think I should choose option 4, because of the least amount of cutting. I really don't know which way to go. Though, part of me is leaning to option 3, since the second incision will be a straight line, and should leave minimal scarring.

And to top off my day, when the doctor drew a line to show me where he would be cutting, I looked down, and forgot he had taken my bandages off, and I almost puked! Okay, so a breast is nothing but fatty tissue, so you know those medical shows that show the surgery? That is what my boob looked like...blood, guts, and fatty red stuff. Excuse me while I barf!

The following conversation took place in the elevator after the doctors visit:

My Mom: "Wow, Damian, I let you look at Steph's boob twice now."
Damian: "I know, you're pretty cool."
Me: "You probably did that on purpose mom, after that he'll never be attracted to my boobs anyway."
Mom: "Ha, you are probably right. Your dad will like that."

Oh, and no word on my lab results today, so we'll have to wait until in the morning.

Labels: ,

posted by Stephanie @ 7:21 PM  
4 Comments:
  • At November 13, 2007 at 8:22 PM, Blogger Mandy said…

    I have to say that for such a yicky posting topic you made me laugh out loud twice - "when the high beams are on, one will be in the trees," and your dialouge between Mom & Damian was great! I'm sure that made for a fun elevator ride, huh? And not that you asked me, but I would go with option 3 or 4, too, but I think that you would be happier with option 3...

     
  • At November 13, 2007 at 9:17 PM, Blogger linda said…

    Skin graft - ouch. You shall certainly have some battle scars to show your grandkids.

    Well, maybe not "show" as such!

    Don't worry about the scars - skin graft is a good option as it will leave your breast looking more natural when wearing a t-shirt. Try to find out about any residual nerve damage with option 3. Keep away from the nipple as much as possible.

    Your poor poppet - to have a look at it must have been most traumatic.

     
  • At November 13, 2007 at 10:45 PM, Blogger Boss Lady said…

    The elevator conversation is funny! Oh, Karen! :)
    Thanks for keeping us posted, my favorite Skittle!

     
  • At November 14, 2007 at 7:22 PM, Blogger Rahul said…

    Reading these posts make me cringe...but laugh too.

    Yeah, you're pretty cool.

    That was a great line.

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
About Me

Name: Stephanie
Home: Macon, Georgia, United States
About Me: Holy Crap I will be 29 soon! My friends and I are creating a before we turn 30 bucket list...hmmm what to add?
See my complete profile
Previous Post
Archives
Links
Powered by

Free Blogger Templates

BLOGGER

© 2005 Daily Skittle Template by Isnaini Dot Com