Daily Skittle

And now back to your regular scheduled program...

 
My Blog Log
2008 Election
Awards
PayPerPost
Blogvertise
Increase Website Traffic
BLOGRUSH
Search!
Google
Other Ads and Links
Negative Ghost Rider the Pattern is Full
Wednesday, November 14, 2007
Well, I didn't have surgery today. My lab results came back & there were no clear margins, which means I have to go back tomorrow. The original place they took out is about nickle size...I don't know how big the next one will be. What I do know is that Option 4 with the plastic surgeon will probably be out now. Honestly, at this point, I'm just worried how much boob I'm going to have left when they finish. I'm only a b cup to start off with, though I am definately swollen to a nice c cup right now.

So when I first found out I had skin cancer I was told do not under any circumstances look this up on the internet so I haven't, not once. But today after being told that they didn't get all the cancer I decided to look this up, mostly because it left my mom wondering if a cancer surgeon should be doing this procedure instead of the dermatologist. This is what I found out...

The cancer I have (Dermatofibrosarcoma Protuberans) is so rare that only 3 people in every million are diagnosed each year, and that I could find only one other case has been reported on the breast. That was in Turkey (as in the country!) This type of cancer does not react to chemo nor radiation, and surgery is really the only option. It does not show up on any lab tests, nor ultra sounds, mamograms, ect. So the only way to diagnosis it is through a biopsy. The Mohs procedure (which is the procedure I am having) is the recommended procedure. This is how the procedure works:



Basically they map out the section to be removed. When they send off the tissue to be tested they test 360. around the area. If they find cancer all the way up to the margin on any area then they will go back to the map and remove additional tissue from that area. This is to guide them of where to go back to. Well, unfortunately this doesn't matter too much for me, because there was cancer found all the way around, so they will have to go back and cut all the way around.

What I also learned is that this type of skin cancer has the largest reoccurance rate of any other skin cancer. The reason for this is because it is so hard to tell if it is all removed since it grows with thin lines growing off it, so labs can often miss it when testing the margins, thinking they have removed it all and later finding it was still there.

So after reading up, I'm not any more scared than before, just more aware. I think I will ask them to go back and take one more round, even if they think they got it all, just to make sure! I am also beginning to think that my plastic surgery may end up becoming more. I may go ahead and look into enlargements. I may have to after this...there isn't much more to cut out.

Labels: ,

posted by Stephanie @ 6:08 PM  
6 Comments:
  • At November 15, 2007 at 8:36 AM, Blogger MomOf4 said…

    I found you from Mrs. Mandypoo's site. I am glad you looked online. I think it was unprofessional of your doctor to tell you not to. There is a lot of information out there. Good luck with your procedures. I will be back to check on you. :)

     
  • At November 15, 2007 at 11:36 AM, Blogger Skryker said…

    I'm sorry that they didn't get it all the first time around.

    (hugs) and good vibes for the next surgery!

     
  • At November 15, 2007 at 1:26 PM, Blogger Stephanie said…

    Momof3: Thanks for stopping by. It wasn't the dr who told me not to look it up, it was friends and family.

    Skyker: thanks. the 2nd surgery didn't go as smoothly

     
  • At November 15, 2007 at 2:12 PM, Blogger prin said…

    Aww, Skittle, I'm so sorry. :(

    (hugs)

     
  • At November 15, 2007 at 3:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hey, I'm visiting via rs27's blog....wow, what a crapload of crap you're enduring right now! You sound really strong though, keep it up! And hey, why not look into getting new boobies after the current ones heal? That might be a spot of fun in all this mess!

     
  • At December 6, 2007 at 4:42 PM, Blogger rbbergstrom said…

    6 years ago I was diagnosed with DFSP. I'd lived with it for nearly 15 years before a doctor figured out what it really was.

    Today, after radical surgery and 5 years of frequent check-ups, I'm doing alright and have a clean bill of health from all my many doctors. I've even got my full range of motion back, despite all the muscle and skin they had to remove.

    I wanted to share with you my tale that it might give you some hope. It's scary stuff you're going through, I know, but eventually it will get better. I wish you luck, perseverance, a good doctor, and a quick recovery.

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
About Me

Name: Stephanie
Home: Macon, Georgia, United States
About Me: Holy Crap I will be 29 soon! My friends and I are creating a before we turn 30 bucket list...hmmm what to add?
See my complete profile
Previous Post
Archives
Links
Powered by

Free Blogger Templates

BLOGGER

© 2005 Daily Skittle Template by Isnaini Dot Com