Daily Skittle

And now back to your regular scheduled program...

 
My Blog Log
2008 Election
Awards
PayPerPost
Blogvertise
Increase Website Traffic
BLOGRUSH
Search!
Google
Other Ads and Links
Do You Understand the Words that are Coming Out of My Mouth?
Monday, February 4, 2008
I had a unique experience today. A deaf lady came in to view an apartment. When she walked in, I stood up and said "Hey" as I would to anyone. She pointed to her ear, and symboled that she needed a pen & paper. She asked to see a two bedroom apartment. So I got my keys, and motioned for her to follow me.

But you see, leasing an apartment is much like selling a car. We go through tons of classes and "sales rallies" to teach us to persuade renters. For example instead of saying "What do you think about the size of the bedroom" you would say "Wouldn't your king-sized bed fit great against this wall." Well, just throw all that out the window when you can't even TALK to the poor girl. I felt like an idiot. I would start talking, only to realize she was totally unaware. Then I felt as if it were an awkward silence. I guess only for me though.

I was thinking on my toes though, so I brought the pen and paper along on the tour. It didn't work well though. I couldn't write the names of the rooms down as quick as she was walking. And really, people already know it's the kitchen, it's just that I'm supposed to say "here is the kitchen" when we walk into it. Writing it however, makes it all seem a little like...well duh!

I just want to kick myself for not finishing sign languange in school everytime I run into a deaf person. (Which so far is like once every 4 years or so...but still!)

Labels: , , , ,

posted by Stephanie @ 8:23 PM  
4 Comments:
  • At February 5, 2008 at 9:54 AM, Blogger Courtney said…

    Did you get your job back? Am I missing something? I am so confused.

     
  • At February 5, 2008 at 10:05 AM, Blogger Mandy said…

    Okay, I can't help but laugh. Not at the deaf lady, but at you, because I'm picturing her going from room to room and you running furiously behind her sribbling "Bathroom," "kitchen," "front door," etc. on a notepad. She had to think you were a genius! LOL.

     
  • At February 5, 2008 at 12:02 PM, Blogger prin said…

    I'm with Courtney... What's up?

     
  • At February 5, 2008 at 2:02 PM, Blogger Stephanie said…

    I have a temporary job with another apartment for the month of February. They have manager, but she is out this month, so I do have a job right now. But come March 1, I'm on my own again.

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
About Me

Name: Stephanie
Home: Macon, Georgia, United States
About Me: Holy Crap I will be 29 soon! My friends and I are creating a before we turn 30 bucket list...hmmm what to add?
See my complete profile
Previous Post
Archives
Links
Powered by

Free Blogger Templates

BLOGGER

© 2005 Daily Skittle Template by Isnaini Dot Com