Daily Skittle

And now back to your regular scheduled program...

 
My Blog Log
2008 Election
Awards
PayPerPost
Blogvertise
Increase Website Traffic
BLOGRUSH
Search!
Google
Other Ads and Links
You're Not Replaceable
Wednesday, October 3, 2007
The title is a quote from Newport Harbor. I thought it was great, and very fitting for this post.

Not everyone can be famous for creating Microsoft. Not everyone will be known around the world as the next Mother Teresa. Few will be known by many. Few will make headlines for who they are, or what they do. I recently told someone, that I'd be happy to be like my Nana. By the world's standard, she wasn't "great." She wasn't responsible for finding the cure for cancer. She never donated millions to charity. She drove a Mercury, and lived in a modest 3 bedroom 1 1/2 bath home.

But what she was the best at what she was!

She was a wife. She did it all for my grandpa...made his breakfast, laid out his pills, picked out & ironed his clothes, cooked lunch for him to come home to, had supper waiting after work; supported him after being laid off; stood by him during his medical problems; and so much more! She loved my grandpa for 45 years of marriage. She was a great wife!

She was a mother. She stayed home with my mom and her sister and brothers. She adopted my uncle when his 16 year old mom couldn't care for him anymore. She took my mom and aunt to piano recitals, didn't miss my uncle's football games. She stood by my uncle during the loss of his wife, and supported my other uncle while enlisted in the marines. He named his first daughter after her. Sadly she never got to meet her youngest grandchild. She was a great mother!

She was a grandmother. My mom and my Nana were so close, my mom didn't work while we were young, and she and my Nana took us everywhere! She was with us during swimming lessons. She went door-to-door to help us sell Girl Scout cookies. She ran to the school to pick us up at the first sign of sleet. She let us be kids...climbing trees, shooting b-b-guns, rolling down the hill in her front yard, and climbing the fence to play on the school playground. She didn't put up crap though. My sister named my niece after her. And if Damian and I ever have a little girl, she will have her name too. She was a great grandmother!

She was a friend. Nana's daughter married her best friends son. Isn't that crazy?! You always say it will happen, but it did for her. She and Mrs. Matt were always together. If one worked a wedding, the other helped out. If one took a big sewing job, so did the other. She was a great friend!

She was a person. Nana volunteered for so many things. She and Mrs. Matt donated the majority of the costumes for the church plays over a 20 year period, and if they didn't have one to fit someone. She made another one. She would bake 15 cakes a day when the fair came to town to sell in the Exchange Club booth. She was a great person!

I could go on for days. I could tell you a thousand stories. But what I really want to tell you is that if people look back on me and can say the same about me, then I have lived and never wasted!

Labels: ,

posted by Stephanie @ 7:56 PM  
7 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
About Me

Name: Stephanie
Home: Macon, Georgia, United States
About Me: Holy Crap I will be 29 soon! My friends and I are creating a before we turn 30 bucket list...hmmm what to add?
See my complete profile
Previous Post
Archives
Links
Powered by

Free Blogger Templates

BLOGGER

© 2005 Daily Skittle Template by Isnaini Dot Com